Back in January, Meg Bate, our Assistant Librarian provided an update on this blog about the new genealogical material that had been added to the GSV's digitised databases. This work has continued with the good work done by our volunteers and the latest material to be added is listed below. It may just contain that missing piece of your family history jigsaw.
Records added to GSV Cemeteries Database
This index contains nearly a million references from cemetery records mostly relating to Victoria. It includes memorial inscriptions or burial registers from our collection. The Society has been transcribing cemetery records since the 1950s and although there are now online websites for cemeteries (with many including photographs), some of those early headstones have disappeared or become illegible or even been destroyed by vandals. Members may use our free Quick Look-up to obtain further details in many cases. A fee for a Quick look-up is charged for non-members.
- Mildura cemetery headstones 1848 to 1983.
- Glenlyon cemetery register and index 1867-1983.
- Geelong Western cemetery: Roman Catholic headstones 2.12.1848 to March 1982.
- Wallan cemetery register and headstones 1854-1978
- Geelong Eastern cemetery: Methodist headstones 1848-1962.
Records added to the Genealogical Index of Names (GIN)
This Index containing about 4 million references to people mentioned in our library and elsewhere, is available for members only. GIN comprises the LINX databases held in our library, some with images. However, not all entries are included in GIN for copyright or commercial reasons. Data is added regularly. Members may use our free Quick Look-up to obtain further details in many cases. A fee for a Quick look-up is charged for non-members.
- Maldon Church of England marriages 1864-1946 [index]
- Maldon State School No. 1254 pupil register pt 2 August 1873 - December 1891.
- Alexander Archibald and Emily Morgan: Donnelly's Creek Gold [Index]
- What Kiddle forgot: a social history of the Mount Elephant district of Western Victoria 1860-1888.
For a list of previously added material you can check back on this Blog under 'In the Library' or 'Archives' to see if there is something in the GSV's Collection that may help your research.