At the Annual General Meeting of the Irish Ancestry Group (IAG) on 14 August 2021 all official positions were declared vacant, and in the absence of any nominations remained unfilled. Following discussion, the meeting voted to suspend the IAG for twelve months and run as a discussion circle in the hope that this format would better serve the needs of members today.
GSV members can register for discussion circle meetings via the Current and Upcoming Events page. Those who are not GSV members can email Irish.Ancestry@gsv.org.au for details. Meetings are expected to remain on zoom until face-to-face gatherings can be safely organised. It is also possible that face-to-face and online (hybrid) meetings may be supported. Please check the Events page for details.
The Irish Ancestry discussion circle aims to:
- Foster the study of Irish History
- Assist with research specifically relevant to Irish immigration to Australia
- Encourage the study of Irish family history
- Produce and maintain an Irish research interests and family names database
- Develop and maintain fraternal relations with other Irish genealogy groups
- Organise regular seminars on Irish history generally, Irish family history specifically
- Purchase suitable Irish research resources for the GSV library
- Sell an Irish Research starters kit
- Produce and maintain a digital archive of the IAG’s newsletter, Blarney
Who can join?
People interested in participating in the IADC are encouraged to join the GSV, if they are not members already. Costs associated with running the discussion circle are covered by GSV membership, so there is no additional fee for IADC membership. New members are very welcome to attend meetings and can join simply by registering at one of the events. For more information, please email the IADC coordinating committee at Irish.Ancestry@gsv.org.au or GSV Admin at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Irish day in the Library has been changed to a monthly Zoom session. "Irish Assistance in the Library" is held on the 4th Wednesday of the month. Bookings can be made via the "Events" page. Please also submit an outline of your query to email@example.com (e.g. O'Grady family of Wexford pre-1860). Note that this service is limited to GSV members only, up to six people per session, and is free of charge.
Genealogical Society of Victoria
Level 1, 10 Queen Street, Melbourne Vic 3000 AUSTRALIA
Phone: 03-9662-4455 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
These may be purchased by contacting the office (details above) for a cost of $10. Additional cost for postage.
Digital copies of past issues of the group’s newsletter, "BLARNEY", will be made available here for download in 2022. The newsletter has been suspended until further notice. Past issues contained information on:
● What's new in the Irish genealogy world
● Upcoming meetings and events
● Articles of interest to Irish researchers
Printed copies of the newsletter may also be obtained by contacting the organising committee Irish.Ancestry@gsv.org.au