Our centrally located Research & Education Centre is in Melbourne where you can work with our experienced volunteer research assistants. With their guidance, you can efficiently organise and record the family information you already hold. Then you can investigate our many resources and background information to confirm the facts and fill in the gaps.
Enjoy socialising with people who have like-minded interest in the people and circumstances in the past.
Membership Benefit Includes
- Access to our comprehensive reference library collection of family history records not available in commercial databases. It includes indexes, books, maps, family histories, CDs and other published and unpublished material.
- Access within our library: Ancestry™, findmypast™, TheGenealogist™, British Newspaper Archive™ and MyHeritage™.
- Login from home and access GSV extensive collections, including the library catalogue, the Genealogical Index of Names (GIN), cemeteries database and guided research.
- Attend orientation, training courses & classes, seminars, library research days and talks, free or at discounted rates. For details browse our events calendar.
- Participate in special interest groups and discussion circles.
- Receive four issues per year of our award-winning journal, Ancestor.
- View from home approximately 170 of our webcasts on a wide range of subjects of interest to genealogists.
- Free quick lookups for members, if you cannot visit the library.
- Received a discount on extended research services and education events.
- Distant members (more than 100 km from the city) receive up to 2 hrs free research query each year.
- Reciprocal rights with other major societies in Australian and New Zealand.
- Receive a membership card.
- Save $108 on a findmypast™ annual world subscription.