Irish Ancestry Group
Quarterly 2nd Saturday February, May, August and November at 1.00pm. The August Meeting is our Annual General Meeting.
The venue for the Quarterly meetings is: the Genealogical Society of Victoria
Meeting room Level 6, 85 Queen Street Melbourne.
Meetings usually begin with a group discussion on set topics. We are currently working our way through the counties of Ireland, but you are welcome to share any news or information at this session. Meetings include a chance to ask for help, tell of your success, or pass on useful information.
Saturday 10 August 2019
1.00pm - Group Discussion - Cavan
2.00pm - Speaker: Dr. Madonna Grehan, Compulsory registration of births, deaths and marriages, 1853: Complexities and challenges
Thursday 15 August - Seminar "Beginning your Irish Ancestry research".
10.30 to 1.00pm. See GSV web site for details and June Ancestor inside back cover
Saturday 26 October - Seminar:
10.00am - 4.00pm Theme: :What's new?"
Saturday 9 November 2019
1.0pm - Group Discussion - Belfast
2.00pm - Dr. Liz Rushen, Liz will discuss her current publication, which at this stage is top secret!
Postal Address: Level 6, 85 Queen Street, Melbourne Vic 3000 AUSTRALIA
Tel 03 9662 4455 Fax 03 9663 0841
IRISH ANCESTRY GROUP COMMITTEE 2018-2019
HELPER AIDE GROUP
For further enquiries contact Beryl O’GORMAN
or Gwen HARDINGHAM
Phone: 03 9584 3776
Aims and Objectives of the group
- To foster the study of Irish History and assist with family history research as it relates to Irish Immigration, particularly in relation to Australia.
- To assist and encourage the study of Irish Family History.
- To produce a quarterly newsletter "BLARNEY"
- To produce a Subscriber's Irish Interest List when required.
- To maintain liaison with Irish genealogy Groups.
- To present seminars and conferences
- To purchase suitable Irish Research media for inclusion in the GSV Library.
- To sell an Irish Research starters kit
- To distribute a newsletter titled Blarney.
- To hold quarterly meetings of the Group's members at which . . .
- Local or visiting guest speakers may present subjects.
- Members participate in group discussions
Subscription to the Irish Ancestry Group is $11. GSV membership is not a requirement, except for election of the committee. Payable in person at the GSV, by cheque, by phone (9.00am to 4.00pm, Mon-Fri) or with Paypal.
An Irish Research person is in the GSV library on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month, and on the 5th Wednesday when this occurs. Other staff and volunteers would also be able to assist you at other times. Contact the Research department for information of a time when a research volunteer is on duty in the library.
Beginner's Kit available at$10. Available at saturday meetings (with correct money), or can be posted.
Our quarterly newsletter is "BLARNEY"
- What's new in the Irish genealogy world
- Upcoming meetings and events
- Articles of interest to Irish researchers
Contact Blarney editor. Beryl O'Gorman Ph (03) 9432 2343 Email
Copies may be obtained by Application to the Treasurer.
Any person can subscribe to the Blarney, and contributions are alway welcome. We endeavour to bring you all updates and new resources as they become available.