The GSV is pleased to announce details of its 2019 Writing Competition. This year we have extended the eligibility criteria, enabling more people to enter, and made some changes to the judging panel.
Purpose of the Prize
- to encourage the writing of family history
- to provide an opportunity for recognition and publication
- to publish the winner as an example of quality family history writing
The competition is open to GSV Members and all members of GSV Member Societies.
Members of the Ancestor Editorial Team, the judges, GSV staff and the winner of the previous year’s prize are not eligible to enter.
We are very pleased to announce that Ancestry™ is again generously sponsoring the competition with an enhanced ﬁrst prize of a 12-month subscription to their Worldwide Membership and an Ancestry DNA test kit.
Announcement and Publication
The winner will be announced at the GSV’s Annual General Meeting in October and the winning article will be published in the December 2019 issue of Ancestor magazine
At the judges’ discretion, one or more of the submitted entries may be published in subsequent editions.
Conditions of Entry
The article should:
- have a family history / genealogy theme
- be the author’s own original work
- not have been previously published in any format, or be under consideration or accepted for publication by any other publication
- be between 1200 and 2400 words (not including title, image captions, endnotes and sources).
- contain citations of sources
Accompanying images are desirable but are not part of the judging criteria. Up to four images may be submitted. Images must be in public domain, or the author’s own, or have the owner’s permission to publish. Please see the advice on the Ancestor Journal tab under Submit an Article – the Submission of Images.
The winning article will be that which, in the opinion of the judges, is the most interesting, well-written and researched and appropriately referenced.
Entries will be judged anonymously by a panel consisting of:
- three members of the Ancestor Editorial Team
- the President (or a past or present member of Council nominated by the President, who is not a member of the Editorial Team or the Writers Circle)
- one other judge from outside the GSV
The judges reserve the right not to award the prize if the entries are not considered to be of sufficient merit, or there are insufficient entries.
The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
How to enter
Submit your article as a Word document by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or on disk to the front desk at the GSV. Use a plain font, preferably Times New Roman, 12 point. Number your pages and include the title in a header. Do not put your name on the pages of the article, but include a separate cover page with your name and other details (see below). Do not include images with the text but send them in separate jpg or tiff files scanned at 300 dpi. Include the title of the article and a caption for each image. Hard copy will not be accepted. As disks will not be returned, please be sure to retain a copy.
The closing date is 4.00 pm on 30 August 2019 and articles received after this time will not be considered.
The cover page should include:
- Author’s given name and surname
- Email address
- Telephone number
- GSV member number or name of GSV Member Society and membership number of that society
- Title of article
- Word length
- Declaration that it is the author’s own original work and has not been previously published in any format and is not under consideration by any other publication
- Captions for images supplied
- Declaration regarding the images – in public domain, or the author’s own, or by whose permission they can be published.
- Permission to publish the article and the images in Ancestor
- Permission to publish the author’s email address